Thursday, February 3, 2011

eco in the rain and transformations


Sometimes the things we don’t want to do can be the most transformative. – Elizabeth Neuse during Vinyasa at Yoga Works 2/2/11

I took this statement to heart for several reasons yesterday.  First of all, can we talk about this weather in New York right now?  Because I, personally, am O V E R I T.  My janky rain boots have holes in them, so I resort to wearing my snow boots, which aren’t tall enough to keep the snowy slush off of my ankles, so I wear legwarmers with them (my crafty eco solution as opposed to buying another pair of snow boots).  Something I really, really didn’t want to do yesterday morning was walk to work in the delicious icy slush-mess in Manhattan.  It was dangerously slippery, uncomfortably rainy, and just generally unpleasant, especially when my yoga mat fell out of my backpack and into a gnarly puddle in the park within two blocks from my apartment.  So riddle me this New York: how is this situation at all transformative?     

It took some serious concentration and a great yoga class later in the evening to help level out this (somewhat) newly acquired East Coast cynicism.  As I reflected on my day, I noticed that, during my laborious walk to work I began thinking of ways of how I could be eco in the rain, as well as how to walk mindfully and refrain from falling on my face.  For example: I recently bought Nike snow boots (which I tried to avoid having to own…until it snowed, then I got the picture), because I know that not only does Nike has some fabulous sustainable initiatives, their shoes would also probably save my sorry butt from slipping in the snow.  Read more about Nike and their environmental efforts here:

All this rain (and all the rain to come) lead me to consider searching for a legit pair of rain boots, but I refused to buy them if they weren’t eco-friendly.  That’s just how I roll.  I did some research (a.k.a. Google) and found Kamik, a Canadian brand that uses recyclable materials to construct their boots.  A few clicks through Amazon.com, and I was sold.

While milling about on Amazon.com, I also remembered my yoga mat spill earlier in the day, so I searched for yoga mat bags (eco-friendly, of course).  I came across a few interesting options, but the Gaiam bag made from recyclable materials was the final purchase.

Luckily I own an umbrella, however I can feel that its life span is quickly approaching a bitter end (i.e. it barely opens).  My answer to this?  Google, and ye shall find: Totes makes eco-friendly umbrellas.  Done.

Then I really plunged into the thought of transformation.  In doing something I didn’t want to do - walk to work in icy/snowy/funk-tastical weather – I motivated myself to find more eco-conscious weather solutions.  I learned that I can surpass the discomfort of the elements by staying focused and calm, and I realized that I should simply get over it instead of complaining about it.  Doing something I didn’t want to do goes even further back before I decided to move to this merciless city: not wanting to leave the place and people I love, not wanting to risk finances and various other uncertainties.  But by taking the leap and getting through the unwanted experience(s), I am starting to see a silver lining as I become even more aware of myself and the environment; I also remember to feel grateful to own something as simple as rain boots and to have a warm place to come home to.  Living, learning, persevering, transforming.  

On a lighter note, check out these other weather trusty brands who work hard to improve their environmental impact:
Timberland

Patagonia

The North Face
(Living without a puffer jacket during winter in New York is like living in a world without cookies, i.e. sad and cold.)

Kamik

Totes Umbrellas

No comments:

Post a Comment